Just because the UFC was in the news, does not mean that UFC President Dana White can’t be in the news. He was talking with Los Angeles radio personality Big Boy and revealed this interesting fact about he awarded Lyoto Machida an undisclosed bonus after defeating Tito Ortiz following their bout at UFC 84 in May 2008.
He said this in their interview:
“There’s no doubt about it,” said White. “Absolutely. I can tell you this. Tito Ortiz is that guy [I wanted to see] get his ass whooped. The only time in 13 years, all the fights we’ve ever done, Lyoto Machida beat Tito Ortiz, I actually wrote him a personal check.
“I literally bonused [sic] him myself.”
Dana and Ortiz history is well documented, but to go back in history and reveal something like this is why i am a Dana White kinda guy.
It should be noted that this fight was not even the main, co-main or even top three fights on this card. For fun you can check them out down below:
- Main Event: B.J. Penn defeats Sean Sherk via TKO Round 3
- Co-Main: Wanderlei Silva defeats Keith Jardine via TKO (Strikes) Round 1
- Goran Reljic defeats Wilson Gouveia via TKO (Strikes) Round 2
- Lyoto Machida defeats Tito Ortiz via Unanimous Decision
- Thiago Silva defeats Antonio Mendes via Submission (Strikes) Round 1
- Rousimar Palhares defeats Ivan Salaverry via submission (armbar) in round one
- Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou defeats Kazuhiro Nakamura via technical knockout (strikes) in round one
- Rich Clementi defeats Terry Etim via unanimous decision
- Yoshiyuki Yoshida defeats Jon Koppenhaver via submission (anaconda choke) in round one
- Dong Hyun Kim defeats Jason Tan via technical knockout (strikes) in round three
- Shane Carwin defeats Christian Wellisch via knockout in round one